Kids and adults are invited to play, create and investigate the mysteries of the world around them at the Manitowoc County Historical Society’s Curiosity Fair on Thursday, July 20 from 3 to 7 pm. The program will take place at the museum, located at 924 Pinecrest Road, Manitowoc.
Visitors will discover what living things are in your own backyard with Woodland Dunes, travel the museum grounds on a miniature train ride, and find out how milk goes from udder to glass with “Addie, the milking cow.” Operation Lifesaver: Wisconsin will be on site to share history and facts about trains. Kids can also meet birds of prey with Wildlife of Wisconsin, take in a magic show with Magician Kurt Kane at 3:30, and test drive lego robots with Lakeshore FIRST Robotics. Specific timing of programs and activities can be found below.
The Curiosity Fair will also take place during the Society’s monthly Family Night. The family night activity will take place from 5 to 7 pm and feature a color war reenactment of a Civil War battle. Participants will learn about the Manitowoc Guards, its members, and how they fought in the war effort. Participants will “enlist”, train for the battle reenactment, and take part in a color dye battle scenario. Participants should wear white shirts and will finish the evening plastered in color.
The Curiosity Fair and Family Night is sponsored by Next Era Energy-Point Beach, Fox Communities Credit Union, The Shopko Foundation, and Country Visions.
Admission is $10 for adults, $7 for children (5-17), and free for children under the age of 5. MCHS members receive free admission.
Schedule of Activities:
Running Continuously from 3 to 7 pm:
- Addie, the Milking Cow
- Cheese making demonstrations
- Operation Lifesaver: Wisconsin
- Lakeshore FIRST Robotics lego robot demonstrations
- Woodland Dunes demonstrations
- Wildlife of Wisconsin birds of prey
- Blacksmithing and historic trades
- "Barn Quilt" art project
- Morse code activities
Visitors can also take part in the following time specific activities:
- Magician Kurt Kane, magic show at 3:30 pm
- Grandkids Express Train Rides, 3 to 5 pm
- 5 - 6 pm: Enlist in the Manitowoc Guards
- 6 pm: Train for a "Color" War* battle, Rules overview
- 6:15 pm: War! *Wear a white shirt and finish the war plastered in color!